Wednesday, May 21, 2008

When it rains it pours.

I was talking to my friend Karen about my grandfather and she asked if I heard about Kim. Kim? Nope, should I have? Kim's a girl we went to elementary and high school with. We weren't close by any means but being that our graduating class was only something like 65 kids, well, by shear numbers you knew everyone. Well, anyway, I caught up with this girl, Kim, on myspace a few months back. We exchanged a few messages and got all caught up on what we've been doing for the past 10 years. She has I think three kids now, one of which being a baby only a few months old. A few weeks back, I read on her page she was really sick. I got a message from her saying she has asthma really bad and her roommate came home to find her not breathing and well, dead. The medics revived her and she ended up intubated at the hospital for two weeks or something. I talked to her about how significant that was and how just the simple fact that she needed to be intubated increases her chances of it happening again. She said she didn't realize that and she wished they could get her asthma under control. I told her about finding a pulmonary doc and some medicines I knew that I know have helped others quit smoking. A smoking asthmatic isn't a good mix. She seemed genuinely grateful and I was actually impressed how two people who really weren't friends in high school were looking out for each other. I think I even mentioned her "case" to an asthmatic I treated at work the other day and how important it was to keep up with breathing treatments, etc.

Then there's the conversation with Karen. So, what I didn't hear about Kim before talking to Karen was that she died a few days ago. Totally blindsided me. Now, like Brian told me, for all we know she got hit by a car, but then I found out today they think it was her asthma or at least something medical. For some reason I took it personally. Not personally like I could have done something to save her because I know thats unrealistic, but its just so ironic that just a week ago she was telling me she got more info out of me than her doc about how serious her condition has become. Part of me finds that hard to believe but then again, I've met quite a few docs that I know only passed with a C or D and they got the same "Dr." before their last name on the white coat. I really deep down hope it wasn't her asthma that killed her. Unless she was blowing smoke up my ass she seemed like she "grew up" and was ready to take control of her condition. She's 28 and leaves behind I think its three kids. Sad.

As for everything going on my end....my trip north has been postponed til early tomorrow am. I talked with my mom and since I don't know when my doc appt will be over, its a lot less stressful for to get everything together tonight and leave early tomorrow am before rush hour. Like she and my sister said, by the time I get to their house tonight, there's not going to be anything to do except go to bed. I'm going to take their advice, run all my errands today, get a good night sleep with Bastard Cat and head out early in the AM.

Surprisingly, with everything going on around here I am NOT stress eating. I got the new 3 month journal from my WW meeting yesterday and I love it. Its really just a different shape but God, it makes all the difference to me. I also bought the point calculator. Love it! Does the same thing as the points slider but its cooler. Actually it stores your points for the day so it does keep me on track when I conveniently (accidentally on purpose) forget how many points I have left for the day. Like Brian said, all I need is one good week to get me right back on track. Once I see that good loss after honestly hard work it will keep me going. I'm not even nervous about going to PA where I normally over eat deliciousness. I think I'll stop at the store on the way up and find some snacks/meals I know I can stick to. And maybe I'll have some say in the menu for Sunday's party and I can make some stuff that's good for me.

Thanks for sticking with the blog and reading all the other stuff that's been going on. I know most of its not WW based, but it really is a stress buster. Instead of eating, I'm typing these days and actually projecting my emotions elsewhere. Its really become a useful tool. And to be honest, I don't care if anyone reads it...its more for me. But its nice to know I've got some nice "stalkers" out there that every once in a while throw their two cents in. :)

1 comment:

Amy Anderson said...

What a senseless death. My coworker is an asthmatic smoker with five kids...I'm going to read her this post. It always amazes me how someone could smoke a cigarette and then go inside and do a breathing treatment. Hello????!!!

I'm sorry about your grandfather but I'm glad you're going up there to be with your family.