Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Finally, some better news.

Oh, post #50 for the day....or at least it feels that way. Well, at least its good news. My uncle called this afternoon saying he and my mom went to the hospital to see Grampy and he was up waving them in the room. That's a big change from yesterday when he couldn't stay awake and when he was up he couldn't talk. His mental status is much improved and all he wanted to do is watch the Yankees. He produced urine finally. 600 cc's so thats pretty significant since they put 800 in. He's off the pacer for now. His rate is still on the low side, but at least he's doing things on his own. The doctor said his cardiac enzymes came back and it ended up that he had a mild heart attack. Everything goes back to his heart. They initially thought maybe he got sick, then dehydrated and then his heart went, but it looks like its the other way around. I kinda suspected that was the case with an infection on top. They seem to have narrowed the infection down to his urine. Although he's doing better, the doctors warned my mom and uncle that his heart is now back to the same old 89 year old heart that caused all this in the first place. Grampy is either on the mend or he's back to three days ago where he was Mr. Perky Talkative and the next day he was unresponsive with a rate of 20. The intensivist wanted to move him to a regular telemetry floor but his PCP vetoed that, which I'm happy about. Doctors are always so quick to downgrade people. He's spending at least one more night in the ICU then maybe tomorrow he'll get moved. Its still very much a wait and see prognosis. But, obviously, we're all very excited to hear that he's doing better this evening.

I went to the crotch doctor today (as my mom called it--OB/GYN to everyone else). She had a bunch of nothing to say. She's sending me for my lab work to figure out why I don't get periods. She thought about putting me back on the pill but I had such problems with it I don't feel its worth it. The doctor kinda makes it seem that since I'm not trying to get preggo its not a big deal. I'm sure its not to her but for the last 10 years of my life have been a bit crazy with hormones and bleeding and such yuck. Since finding out my ex-husband is having a baby in a few months, my doctor told me the reason we didn't get pregnant when we were trying was because of me. What a downer, even though I pretty much already knew it. Sucks when nature doesn't work. So she said if Brian and I ever planned on kids she said I'd automatically have to go to a fertility clinic and Brian would need some work done being that he's "fixed". Granted, this all is wayyyyy down the road if it ever happens, but I told the doctor I'd be scared to end up with a bunch of babies. And on top of that, its expensive if insurance doesn't cover it. I told her I can't handle more than twins and I'd be afraid to end up like Kate from Jon and Kate + 8. She started laughing. I thought it was because I told her my fear. She told me no, she thinks I look like Kate. She suggested adoption which we've talked about as well. No matter how much I'd like to know what a "little Sarah" (boy version of course) looks like, if I'm going to invest that much money into it and guarantee I only get one kid we'd have to look into adopting. Plus there's a million kids out there that deserve good homes. Like I said, its a long ways off if it ever even happens. As for now I still have screwed up ovaries and hormones and we may never know why.

BTW, WW sucks. Yes, I stayed on plan today but dammit! I want some Chinese food. My 3 point egg roll just isn't cutting it. I want grease and syrupy General Tso sauce and fried pieces of some sort of animal I'm sure isn't chicken, and maybe a doughy dumpling, too. I have 2 points left for the day and I'm trying very hard to figure out what to do with them. I'm pretty sure House of China can only offer me a fortune cookie for that much, and that will probably push me over anyway.

No comments: