Thursday, June 5, 2008

Time is precious.

I think sometimes we get caught up in life and forget just how precious our time here and with others really is. First, there was girl I graduated high school with that died of asthma, then the fatal shooting of a police officer in Tucson (a co-worker of my BIL), and then today I came home from work to find out a kid I went to school died overnight after an ATV accident. He was only 26. I knew him, because, well, where I grew up you had no choice but to know everyone. I didn't know him well, however, I spent most of my life with his wife and her family. They lived next door to us until I was in middle school and after that she played on my basketball team. They got married last July and just recently bought a house together. All of these deaths were obviously unforeseen. I can't imagine what their families are going through. Please, keep their families in your thoughts and prayers and keep those who you value close to your heart. Life is too short.

Speaking of precious time, we got a little bit more with Grampy. I realized I never gave you an update recently. He's doing MUCH better. I'm not going to lie, it surprised the crap out of me. I didn't think he'd pull through like he has, but he's doing well. He made it out of ICU onto a tele floor and eventually had surgery to get a pacemaker. Now he's in a local nursing home complaining about his "thickened up" coffee and pureed food. But, he's able to complain, so that's a good thing. Although I do feel for him....he's not a real social kind of guy and now he's got a roommate with dementia. I guess his roommate steals Grampy's glasses and hides them in his underwear drawer. :O) That makes me laugh. I don't think Grampy is.

2 comments:

The Outlaw Firefighter said...

You are so right! Time is precious. Over the last 2 years things have been so crazy for me. Lost a real close friend at work. The break-up's and loosing my grandmother. Now Im looking back at everything and Im thankful that I have great friends I can turn to!

:)

Rick Radinsky said...

Sorry, I was snooping. His name is Erik Hite. Our city, and this country, lost a fine, dedicated defender of freedom.