Monday, June 2, 2008

Insurance Companies

I'm mild to moderately aggravated right now. Obviously, I didn't read the fine print on my insurance plan or I was given some bad information, but I found out today I don't have the coverage I thought I had. I thought and "thought" being the key word here, that I could go to any provider and be covered. In-network providers would be cheaper than out of network providers, but I could go anywhere. Boy, was I wrong.

So, like I've said before, I've been going to counseling. That's $130/session since they are no longer covered by Cigna. But, we all figured that if I paid out of pocket, I would later get reimbursed at least a little to defray the costs. Brian even did me the favor of calling my insurance company to see what forms needed to be filled out. Today, for some reason, I decided to call CIGNA to confirm all the paperwork. I was told one thing by the first girl, then something different by the second only to be told by the third and fourth girls that I don't have the coverage I thought I had. I can go to anyone "in-network," without a PCP or any referrals, but I have absolutely NO coverage if they are out of network. What!? So, basically that $1000+ I've spent so far has been flushed down the drain. Now I either go broke paying $130 a week to the counselor, I don't go at all and go mildly crazy, or I start all over again with a new counselor. Luckily I'm going to counseling primarily to deal with stuff from my past, learn to handle stress more effectively and work on communicating. Not that its not important, but I'm not someone who's got a knife to my wrists or something. Healthcare is so complicated sometimes. Now I have to go back to picking a name of a list and take my chances. Same goes with any medical doctors. How do you pick out a PCP? Pick a name you can pronounce? Someone close to home? Why is it the "good" doctors are never in network? Now I'm starting to see why people call 911 so much. Its always covered. So much for my day of "catching up" on stuff I've been procrastinating on. This insurance drama has now drained my day. I never mentioned all the "on hold" time I spent listening to elevator music. I wish I got to pick my music if I'm going to sit on hold so long.

And, while I'm still half venting, I guess I kind of have issues with insurance companies overall. I
know they are trying to micromanage and all, but I don't understand why they do things they do. For example, my mom has been a diabetic since she was 12. They will cover her insulin but not the syringes. What good is insulin if you have no way of taking it? Granted, they can afford to pay out of pocket for the needles but a lot of people out there can't. I just wish insurance companies were more into preventative care or made it more accessible. Its like taking care of a car. Pay $800 for a timing belt or $3000 for a new engine when the belt breaks. Sometimes its worth investing a little.

Ok, rants over. Now I'm off to Verizon to deal with my broken in half cell phone. :( Poor little guy didn't stand a chance after hitting the floor.

No comments: