Thursday, June 26, 2008

The reasons I love Trader Joe's:

1. Russian style pierogies. Quite possibly the closest to homemade tasting frozen pierogi I've ever had. And, I've had plenty in my lifetime.

2. Potato pancakes (or maybe they were latkes....I can't remember what the box said). They were delicious. A little fat, so if you're the type that will only eat a skinny crunchy dripping in melted lard kind, these are not for you. But if you enjoy a quality, full of taste potato pancake, get a box.

3. Apple blossoms. Apples, dough, cinnamon, sugar.... First, they are fun to watch cook in the microwave because they "blossom." Brian was more excited than me, but don't tell anyone. Secondly, they were super fantabulous (really, really good). Next time we get them we are most definitely throwing a little bit of vanilla ice cream on top. I'm drooling thinking of it.

4. Jasmine rice. I just started eating rice over the last year, and this by far is the best rice.

5. Mandarin orange chicken. Goes well with the Jasmine rice and is a good replacement for Chinese carryout/buffet.

6. Gen. Tso Sauce. Goes well with 4 & 5.

7. The samples. OK, this is more for Brian. He's like one of those old people that go to Costco on a Saturday for a free meal of samples. Yesterday, he had chicken pomadoro, coffee, cookies and pecan pie (that was good).

8. Trader Giotta's pizza. I'm not going to say this beats any restaurant style floppy pizza, but its good in a pinch. Its a good standby in the freezer for those unforeseen "I need pizza" moments.

9. White cheddar puffed corn. Yummy.

10. Pretzel thins.

11. After looking everywhere (and I mean everywhere) I finally found lemon curd at TJ's. Now I can make Brian his WW fruit tart (sugar cookie crust w/ lemon curd, fruit) he's been bugging me about.

The downfall to all this deliciousness (well, the frozen pierogies, potato pancakes, and apple blossom's last night) was the sodium. Ugh, by the end of the night I think Brian and I would agree that we felt like we were laying face first in a desert somewhere. I'm feeling back to normal today. I have no idea how they ranked in WW points, but honestly, I don't think they were anything crazy as long as you stay with the serving size portions.

Anyone have any other suggestions of what to get from TJ's?

Tomorrow, (Amy, don't hate us) we are headed to Miss Shirley's. We are meeting my old partner and his girlfriend for breakfast. I better decide today what I'm going to order before I get overwhelmed when I get there.

3 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Soooo jealous!

Christy said...

I still don't believe you eat rice Miss "I don't like the way it feels in my mouth" LOL. I don't know if I'd believe it if I saw it. Probably an optical illusion. :-)

Sarah said...

I know, its the damnest thing. I swear I eat it. Still won't eat it in a casserole or something, but I can do it with Chinese food. Baby steps. I figure by the time I'm 60 I'll be able to each soup with rice in it. Probably not though.