Sunday, June 29, 2008

Irony...

I spent about a good chunk of time yesterday talking to my old partner from work, Chuck. He has since retired, but we were partners while I was on my Intern status (rookie) at work. Chuck didn't know what he was in for when we became partners---(besides having the most wonderful partner in the world!!) When I came along, so did my black cloud and I felt obligated to share it with him. My "black cloud" was the symbol that was assigned to my name. If there was a bad call in the county, I was sure to be on it. Everyone knew it. I was a shit magnet.

Chuck called me yesterday after hearing about the Findley murder. He wanted to be sure my black cloud wasn't still following me. See, Chuck and I were the medics that treated Sgt. Gaughan when he was shot in June of 2005. Although it was a bright, sunny June day, my cloud followed me and we ended up on the call everyone (of sane mind, anyway) prays they'll never be put on. It wasn't just another shooting...I don't know how to explain it. But out of bad came good----for the remainder of my stay at that station, we were close with the police officers in that district.

So, imagine the irony when almost 3 years to the day it happens all over again. Like I posted yesterday, Findley's death was within days of Gaughan's anniversary, within miles of where Gaughan was shot, and Gaughan was Findley's FTO. While talking to Chuck yesterday, he reminded me of something I completely forgot. We had these same exact conversations three years ago. Ok, so they didn't involve Gaughan and Findley, but they did involve Gaughan and his FTO, Cpl. John Novabilski. Cpl. Novabilski was shot and killed in the line of duty in 1995. When Gaughan died, everyone kept talking about how close the two were and now they were in heaven or wherever they were having fun.

I find this all to be very ironic. Its not like we have cops dying every other day around here. But for the last three to be closely related.....its crazy to me. I said Gaughan and Findley would be having fun where ever they are.....add the other one to the mix and they might be straight having a party.

I can't even begin to imagine what Findley's family is going through right now. Or to be the Gaughan's or Novabilski's and basically reliving this over again. I don't know what I would do or how I would act if I lost Brian. But my only comfort would be that maybe he'd be having a drink with George in heaven. (Although, after hearing Brian's stories, I'm not so sure they'd both make it there :) ) I'd imagine the families have some comfort knowing the 3 of them are together.

On a side note, and maybe some more irony, yesterday a 19 year old was charged with murdering Cpl. Findley. This morning, he was found dead in his jail cell.

No comments: