Monday, April 12, 2010

A service like no other

I went to Mike & Shannon's church service by myself Sunday morning. What a relaxing day. It was like no other service I've been to. I got there late (in usual Sarah fashion) and walked in to an auditorium with the lights out and a band playing. I thought I went to the wrong place, but Mike reassured me I was where I was supposed to be. The church overall is quite contemporary and has a pretty young membership. It's a non-denominational church that holds its Sunday services at a nearby middle school. I'm going to be honest, the first ten minutes or so I thought they were a bunch of quacks. I mean what church has a band with members who's jeans are all distressed, messy hair, and sing their worship? I was uncomfortable. But, like it was meant to be, suddenly there was a picture of Mike on two screens on the stage showing an interview of how he came to be a member of the church. He explained his Jewish heritage and how he later became Christian. His face glowed when he spoke of his experiences. In normal Mike fashion, there was even a stupid moment where he thought his ear scratching would be edited out, but it wasn't. Guess you had to be there for that part. Shortly after, a missionary named Calvin spoke for a while. Again, I started to get a little nervous. There I was sitting in a not so normal church service about to listen to some Jesus lovin' guy. But listening to him speak was so very interesting. I'm going to be honest, I didn't understand any of his Bible references with the exception of, "let there be light," which I guess I didn't know the true symbolism behind it, and stories of Adam and Eve. But I could have listened to him for hours. He referred to scripture...I have no idea what Testament it was from, but he was able to explain it in such a way that I totally understood it after. It was almost like we were at a laid back conference. I love learning stuff and going to classes, and this was no different.

I still don't know much. I don't know what "religion" I am. I just know that the stuff I learned as a Catholic very much skewed my views on Christianity or religion overall. All I really learned was all the reasons I'm going to hell for: spitting on the road as a kid, having sex before I was married (sorry, Mom), and probably because I got a divorce. My Nana told me if I lost anything, I was supposed to pray to St. Francis (or someone), and I should say novenas (of course, the ones found in the back of the newspaper) every night. I think the "lost" stuff wasn't supposed to be about my finding my lost shoe, but if I lost my "way."

I left their service literally smiling. I felt like I just sat through a free counseling session or something. It was so upbeat and positive. For all I know the whole God and Jesus thing is a made up story. But, if a made up story is helping me stay positive in my life and my relationships then maybe I'll keep playing make believe. It's working for me.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Actually it's St. Anthony you pray to when you lose things and Nana was referring to objects. My Grandmother taught me that when I was itty bitty. One of the few prayers I still say. You know why? Because it works. I always find whatever it is I was looking for. Seriously.

Confounded Concoctions said...

Hello Sarah,

My name is Annette and I just happened upon your blog as I was looking at a friends art blog. I hope it is not presumptuous if I comment!

I am so glad to hear that church was a great experience for you!

You were not there by accident. The sermon made sense (in a strange new way) to you because the Holy Spirit was opening it up to you and inviting you in!

Jesus is so real. He is really God and really died for my sins and yours!

We do not go to hell because we spit on the street (lol!) or because we have sex before marriage (sorry to my mom too!). We go to hell because we reject the forgiveness and atonement for all of our sin that Jesus paid for on the cross.

I do hope that you continue to go to that church and learn about Jesus and come to a saving relationship with Him. That is what He wants.

Jesus said "Come to Me, you who are burdened. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me and I will give you rest."

If I can answer and questions I would love to help! I am just a woman who has huge struggles just like everyone, but I know that Jesus is real.

Oh yeah..... started at 253.5 lbs and am now at 243. *sigh*. It is progress though!

God Bless you Sarah!

Annette

Sarah said...

St. Frances...St. Anthony....whatever. They still never helped me find my lost stuffed animal. (My Nana taught me to about that when I was little too. LOL)

Confounded...you sound like my mom. :) Thats a good thing.

Confounded Concoctions said...

Sarah,

LOL! As they say, it is always good to listen to your mother!!

God bless you today!

Annette