Saturday, April 24, 2010

Join the Movement

I'm not going to lie. When my alarm started going off this morning, I was thinking of EVERY reason not to get ready to go to the 5K. My bed was so comfy and let's be honest---I'm obviously not one to jump up willingly for exercise. I'm SOOOO glad I went though. I spent a few hours with some good friends. Three plus miles flew by. By the time I was asking if they'd have mile markers up to show us how far into the walk we were, we were already turning back on the road to return to the starting point. The walk wasn't easy. I mean it wasn't killer either, but there were a good few hills in it.

Like I said, I felt it once I got home and tried to get out of the car. I was sore all over and tired. A lot of you could probably walk 3 miles at the mall, but for me, that is the most exercise I've had in a long time. I'm at work now and I feel great. I'm actually thinking of what I want to do tomorrow to earn some activity points.

That might have been the best part. I earned 8 points for today. What a great concept! I overate a little at lunch today, but I was totally covered with the extra points. (Yes, I did use my 35 points first....but theoretically speaking, I earned actually more, than what I ate today.)

I'm a little stubborn sometimes. It takes me a while to "get it." Just like the pants explosion led me to take my weight loss seriously, this 5K may be just the catalyst I need to get moving. Well,that and this orange bracelet I'm wearing that says "Join the Movement." Its the National MS Society's catchline, but it made me think about how many people out there want to move but can't. I'm lucky and healthy enough to move and up til this point I've chosen to be lazy and not take advantage of my ability to move. Until today.

No comments: