Tuesday, April 13, 2010

If I could make one wish....

it would be for one restful night's sleep. I can't even tell you the last time I really slept well. It's been years, and I probably had the flu or something. My sleep schedule is all kinds of messed up thanks to my job. I've been on sleeping medicine for about two years now....nothing like Ambien or anything, but another prescription that has "drowsy" as a side effect and allows me to sleep. But I still wake up tired. Almost like I'm hungover--that kind of tired.

Well, I ran out of the medicine and I'm trying (being stubborn) to sleep without the medicine. I don't like that I'm drugging myself, for lack of better terms, to sleep each night. I just want to be normal and sleep when I'm supposed to and for 8 hours, not these little naps.

My mom did always tell me I had my nights and days mixed up.

6 comments:

Rebecca Palm* Gallimaufry Photography* said...

I have the same problem. I NEVER sleep well and if I do happen to get 7 hours, I am still exhausted. I HATE my job! :-)

Anonymous said...

That last sentence...my mom always told me the same thing. To this day I'm a night owl.

I used to be on Ambien. I gave it up about a year ago. Still struggled, and then when I really started working out, that seemed to be magic. That magic has worn off. I hope you find peace with your sleep.

Thank you so much for your comment. I've often thought that I had that--what I won't write on my blog (too public) is that my sister went absolutely crazy, raged, threw things--she didn't actually touch me but I was in fear of my son and my life. It was violent and bad. And that is what eats at me, what I can't get over, even though logially I know we're safe now.

What stinks is I live in a small town and, well, am not impressed with the counselors I've heard discussed. So what to do?

Feel a bit better, my secret is out. lol

jo at 282 and a half

JakiiC said...

I feel your pain. I work at night with some extra day time shifts and after 7 months im still not really used to it.

Sarah said...

Jo, I used to drive an hour to go to someone good. I figured my sanity was worth it. I searched the internet for reviews. I could afford it at the time, but I also paid for someone out of pocket. The problem, a lot of times with providers who take insurance is in order to make $$ they have to see a certain amount of patients per day. Therefore your appointment time is cut short. I paid out of pocket and got a good 1-1.5 hours. A lot of those 30 min or less sessions wouldn't even be enough time to scrap the surface. And I've been to a few different people. Not because I'm a loon but because those providers weren't a good fit. Its like you're dating them....lol. Dump them if they arent for you.

Sarah said...

Last night I didn't take anything for sleep. I went to bed 11ish was up at 145, 315, 5 something and then 620 because I forgot to turn my alarm off from yesterday.

So, I got up, showered, and now I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if I'm tired or not. Maybe Im more of a morning person than I thought.

Unknown said...

Maybe this will be no help to you at all, but I take Hyland's Calms Forte (http://www.hylands.com/products/calmsforte.php). They're homeopathic and non-habit forming.
This totally sounds like spam, I know, but if you want a good nights sleep, Id give them a shot.