Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dancing Queen

The walk helped. Remi and I walked for 20 minutes. I was whooped. Our neighborhood is built on the side of a mountain so hills are prevalent. My lungs don't like them. I was so out of breath...I'm so embarrassed. I used to be the person who could play an entire basketball game without a break, and now I'm seriously huffing after climbing three flights of steps (with all my work equipment) or after 20 minutes of walking up and down some hills.

We got home and I decided to dance. I went on youtube and found the videos for some of the "club" line dances I did while on the cruise. I had a blast doing them, but would only did so if I had alcohol helping with the endeavor. With no one around, and therefore no need for alcohol, Remi and I did the Cha Cha Slide and Stomp and the Tootsie Roll in the dining room. Well, Remi did nothing except try to bite my sneakers each time I kicked.

Missy told me I have to try new things. I'm not comfortable trying new things but I know its something that needs to happen. This week, I'm going to take a Zumba class at the YMCA. Its based off of Latin dancing. I watched a few videos of it on youtube.com and I think it will be along the same lines as my dancing in my dining room tonight. I'll probably make an ass out of myself, but I figure that's better than my ass getting bigger.

Speaking of which.....
totally sucked last night. In addition to my uniform malfunctions, we ran a car accident where I had to get the driver out through the passenger side door. Long and short of it....we (I) got stuck. My left leg was outside the vehicle with a backboard balanced on it. My right leg and butt were in the passenger's compartment where your feet go. Combine my awkward positioning, my butt, belly, and boobs, and then sliding out this guy who's fighting a bit because he can't breath....it wasn't ideal to say the least. Its weird, my adrenaline gets flowing and I just start to work. I don't think about "getting stuck." But once the time comes I realize, "wow, this could get interesting."

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Christy..I was working with Andrew. The pt started grunting and yelling, "I can't breath." Andrew said if you can talk you can breath. I shot him a glare and said, "don't say that..." remembering our guy at the Rite Aid across from Census.

This guy ruptured his diaphragm and his stomach (with a hole in it) was in his chest. He fractured every rib on the left side and Andrew tells him you can breath....

Shelley said...

Good for you for dancing. When Grandma Phyllis was younger and she wanted to lose weight she danced in the living room (not to the point of exhaustion) and enjoyed it. She also enjoyed the BIG weight loss that went along with doing it every day. It would be a good thing for me to do....just might!

Anonymous said...

Congrads for getting outside and getting in a workout. Your friend was right about trying new things, I picked up Birding (yes strange I know) but carrying the camera equipment and all the hiking I do has really gotten workouts in without them feeling like workouts. By the way, inspired by you, I put a weight loss ticker on my blog, shooting to loose 30 lbs.

Christy said...

Well, he could breathe so Andrew was right. He just couldn't breathe very well. Interesting to rupture that, you saw the CT scan at ER? How did he do it? That's pretty infrequent.

I've been keeping up on your blog...I'll send you a message tonight or tomorrow.

Gina said...

I think you will really enjoy the Zumba class! It can really be a workout but you can trick yourself into thinking you are just dancing! I do a hip hop class here and I love it for that fact! Just trying something new might help you find that one thing that you can look forward to each week that will help move you in the right direction!!

Sarah said...

Christy, I saw the stomach below the heart in xray, then went to CT with Dr. Daee where he confirmed it. I talked with a doc and RN that took him to surgery. He had a 15cm diaphramatic (sp?) rupture. The stomach was pushed through, ending under the heart. The ribs were all broken, but was splinted within because of the different pressures/swelling, etc. At first we thought he had just a pneumo.