Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm feeling better today....

in more ways than one. First off, lets get the lieutenant mess out of the way. After talking to some close friends and I'd even say mentors at work, I've started to come to terms with being in fourth place. I did not score the way I thought I would or hoped I would, but I'm still on the list. I still am (I'm hoping, anyway) eligible to become a Lieutenant, and accomplished that almost to the day of my fourth anniversary. All of the other candidates have 6+ years on, one having nearly 12 or 13, I believe. That's an accomplishment in itself. I was all concerned about what others would think and I was reminded I really only care about about a select few opinions. And those select people don't care where I score. They told me to look at the big goal. Being an officer is an overall job. What I took was a test, and maybe I had a bad test day. I'll get to prove to everyone what I am capable of once in the position. The best comment of the day? "I'd want you to me my boss." That person earned a sticker.

On to feeling better topic #2: I slept at work. That may seem like nothing to you but to those people on shift work or who are close to me, know that sleeping at a firehouse is crappy. You never get a truly restful sleep. That is especially true for me. I really can't recall a time where I woke up rested and ready to go about my day after a 24 hour shift. That was, my friends, until today. I felt awesome. I left workand spent a few hours doing some shopping on the way home. I wanted to stay out longer, but I had to get home to start prepping for tomorrow.

Ok, that was a bummer. That Fleets crap I had to drink--well, I think I drank 8 ounces of sea water. Oh, God, was it gross. Whoever thought "lemon and ginger" would be good with a bagful of salt needs their head checked. Anyway, two hours later the anticipated visit to the potty room was made. Sorry, a little gross I know, but there's a positive in all this. After that visit, my stomach didn't hurt. I think that might be the first time in months that my stomach didn't hurt. Maybe because its completely empty and I'm living off of Gatorade, Sprite (splurged for the real stuff too---no diet here!), and water. Food? I can't wait til tomorrow. My stomach is growling a very mean growl at me. And speaking of growling, I'm going to go tame it....with another 1.5 ounces of sea water. I can't wait. Ew.

The colonoscopy is at 7am tomorrow. Pray they find nothing. Or maybe something. I'm not sure which way to go. Pray they figure out what's been giving me problems, but say another prayer they don't find cancer or anything like that. I'd love to be like my Grandma Jeannie, but not in that way.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Well I wouldn't want you to be my boss unless I worked somewhere with a permanent fountain diet pepsi machine installed!