Saturday, December 6, 2008

I am in love with Mrs. Something-ski

So, I ran this call today for a sick man. I asked the guy his name he told me "something-ski." Well, he didn't exactly say those words---his last name ended with a "ski" and I feel its inappropriate to put his name in here. Anywho....we were standing in his bedroom, his wife next to me, and we're trying to figure out why he felt the way he did. His wife was besides herself and kept giving me that "fix him" face. She definitely made it clear they were married for 50 years and, well, we better make him better. Talk about pressure.

We determined the patient wasn't really as sick as first thought, so to turn down the tension, I decided to make small talk with Mrs. Something-ski. She and her husband had a thick accents, so I asked where she was from. Of course, knowing full well with a name like Something-ski she was probably from Poland. She said she was from Poland and they moved to the US in '75. I said, "so, you make pierogies?" She got this hugest (really big) grin on her face. "You know pierogies?" Why yes, yes, I do. I left out the part about Pierogi Fest trip to Indiana and the Pierogi Man Legend from Forest City and just smiled cutely and said, "yes, I love them."

"Wait here, I get you some," she said. I tried to tell her it wasn't necessary but I quickly learned its not good to argue with 70 something year old Polish ladies. We continued treating her husband and quite honestly I kinda forgot about the pierogies. All of a sudden she walked in the room with this paper plate covered with tin foil, all put in a big zip loc bag. How freakin' cute is she? "Here, your pierogies."

I figure its a win-win situation. I got real pierogies from a real Polish woman and realized there are still nice people in the world. She was able to relax if only for a few minutes during maybe one of the most stressful moment in her life. Oh, the powers of the pierogi.

And Brian? Haha, he's jealous. I'm not sure if I'm going to share. I don't know if the old Polish ladies like to share with the Jewish type. Us Polacks and Slovaks and whatever other "laks" gotta stick together.

Make a deal.....I'll trade you one pierogi for a potato latke. Maybe then, we can talk.

No comments: