Sunday, January 3, 2010

Where's the "Chubby Girl?"

I'll spare details, but I got into an altercation early this morning with a doctor in an ER. My concern was about a patient and the doctor was more concerned with finding out "who do you think you're talking to?" Long story short, I obviously struck a nerve and a complaint was generated. I walked away to call my supervisor about the incident and when I returned my partner, a long time friend, had this disgusted look on his face. I asked what was wrong and he said, "I'm about to go nuts on that guy." I asked him if the doc said something about me and my partner replied yes. I jokingly asked, "was it good?" and my partner shook his head no. He told me the doctor came out of the room and said, "where's that chubby girl?" I later found out my partner said, "that girl is my Lt., and don't call her that." He was so serious. Me? It rolled off my back like no big deal.

I ended up talking to my supervisor yet again and filled him in with the chubby comment and he (having just had gastric bypass surgery) said, "thats not cool." Again, me? No big deal. I told Brian about it. He had the same reaction.

So tell me.....why is it that I don't have any reaction? In my head I just hit a nerve and that adult is using childish words because he has nothing else to say. To everyone else, I should be upset.

The ride home from work was long. I didn't sleep at all last night so I was obviously tired. With tired brings hungry. Or so I think. It definitely doesn't bring clear thinking. I thought of the entire fiasco that happened at the ER over and over again, yet the word chubby just kept popping in my head. No feelings...just the word chubby.

I've never ever been called names before. Well, thats a lie, but they've been cuss words based on my aggressive, yet assertive attitude. (What a good definition of "bitch," you think?) Yet there I was, for the first time in my life, being called a name. It wasn't "that medic" or "that bitch." It was a comment based on my physical features. I think I didn't react because I don't even know how to react to that. But I'm not going to lie. I think it bothers me.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

We all know that was extremely unprofessional of him. A doctor refering to someone's weight in the negative to another person is unconscionable... I would be filing a report on that doctor. I am sure he does this all the time in one form or another and tries to intimidate those he can. What a jerk! Does he see private patients in an office? I would love to make an appointment be the most annoying patient he ever encountered. The definition of chubby in Webster is "plump". Doesn't sound too bad to me. I hope that makes you smile.

Unsettled Mind said...

i'm not gonna lie, i think if that were me, i would be upset. but good for you for not saying something to him cause i def would have gone and probably caused a scene. but i do know it's something that no one should worry about, especially if you're in the process of trying to take care of it - so f him.
at least it's good to know you have people on your side to back you up.
don't let it get to you.