Monday, March 17, 2008

Public service announcement for today....

If you're going out to celebrate the greatest holiday of the year today, find a DD. Anyone (or just about anyone) who's been out drinking and drove to get there I'm sure has been in the situation where you were "less drunk" than someone else so you decided to drive home. And chances are, you got home in one piece, luckily. But today is not the day to find out if you still have a horseshoe stuck up your you know what.

This summer, my cousin, 27, was killed in a drunk driving accident. He and his girlfriend left his sisters wedding rehearsal dinner and then went to another party. Early the next morning, his girlfriend decided she would drive home because she was less drunk than he. According to the newspapers, her BAC was .17. She took a curve too fast and wrecked. My cousin was ejected and pronounced dead on scene. She had minor injuries, but for the rest of her life has to live with the decision she made that night. Not only did she kill (not intentionally) her boyfriend, her psuedo-SIL's wedding had to be postponed. I read yesterday that my cousin said something to the effect of, "it was supposed to be the greatest day of my life. Now if I have kids, they won't have an Uncle Bill." I got an email yesterday saying she was sentenced to 6-23 months in jail. Apparently, my family requested she got a lesser sentence, but no matter how close they were with her over the years and how many emotions are felt, they still feel she needs to face the consequences of her decision.

"She" could be any of us. So if you are partaking in a few delicious green ones today, find a ride take a cab, stay at a hotel or drink green water for all I care. But don't put yourself in a situation where you kill someone else, possibly the person you love the most.

And, while you're out there, if you find a chapping young hottie tottie Irish accent man, give him my number. Oh, yeah, Brian....he knows he can always easily get the boot to be replaced by an Irish accent and today quite possibly may be the day. :0)

As for right now, I'm on to day 3 of my FIRM DVDs. Anna, yes they work. But they suck. They hurt and make you tired and did I mention they suck? They say if you do 10 workouts you will see results (inches lost). I do believe them, its worked for me in the past, but you really gotta like doing them. Which is exactly the reason why I usually get to workout #7 and stop. I got mine at Target. Search "FIRM Believers" and you'll get testimonials about the workouts. Some people have lost crazy amounts of weight/inches on the program.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

What a horrible story. I have always been anal retentive about drinking and driving, and now I'm even more so since I'm applying to the North Carolina Bar and they for some reason frown on criminal records. I would guess in your line of work you see more than your share of those types of accidents. How horrible. Good for you for putting it out there!