Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oh, to be a fat girl in a skinny girls body....

I have a mini dilemma. I have always wanted "a place." You know, that restaurant or bar where they know you and are genuinely happy to see you. It happens on TV all the time, so I figure its gotta happen in real life too. Like Gilmore Girls. They had that restaurant, whatever it was called. Same with Seinfeld. They even had a booth. A place and a booth. How awesome is that? I'll settle for a place. Good news! I think I found it this morning. Bad news: SOOOO not WW friendly.

When I moved to Baltimore over two years ago there was this bagel place up the street from my apartment. I tried to make it "my" place but for one reason or another, it just didn't work out. They ended up closing up shop and then I had nothing. A month or so ago, a new place moved in and replaced the old one. First off, they got bonus points for the name: Ugly Muffin. I doubt they sell them, but I want a T-Shirt. If I owned a muffin place I'd name it something cool like that. Anyway, this morning Brian was working a few hours extra and I wasn't completely exhausted, but was hungry so I decided to stop by and see if Ugly Muffin was worth trying. That was the bestest decision I've made all morning. (That means its really really good when you start making up new words.) I got a blueberry muffin to take home, which of course I had to sample while waiting for my omelet. It was delicious. Now, it could have been better if it had the sugar crystals like Costco and BJ's have on top of theirs, but it was good nonetheless. Then there was the omelet. I had sausage, cheese and onion. (WW readers, don't kill me!) OH, so yummy. It was perfect. Nothing fancy, just good. I don't even like shredded hash browns but they were delicious as well. They had this extra taste---I can't describe it but it was good.

So, I found my place. The place I can see myself walking in, getting a muffin, reading the paper, doing the crossword (I guess I better start reading papers and doing crosswords first)....its going to be wonderful. But since there is really nothing WW friendly (no eggbeaters, etc.) its going to be tough. For some reason I'm motivated to start this working out thing again. Maybe I can make it part of a routine. Maybe my morning can start out as a walk and I break at the Ugly Muffin. I don't know, but I think this might be just what I need to get my workouts in. If I plan on stopping by there, I'm going to have to work it off. Otherwise there is no hope for fat girl staying in a skinny body. Its going to be fat girl in a fat body.

Now, if I could just find "my" bar, I'd be set. Not because I'm a drunk or anything....I just want one of those hole in the wall places where you stop by to see who's there, shoot the shit when your bored then leave. Maybe its just the small town girl in me trying to come out again.

Changing the subject, I'm pretty excited. Brian quit his 2nd job, so we will actually get to see each other again so we can stop pretending like we're a couple and now get to do the real thing. He was working close to 90 hours a week. Between all the hours at work and the time when he has the kids, that leaves about 1.5 hours a day to us. The majority of that 1.5 hours was spent winding down before bed and getting things ready for the next day. Now, he will only be working our normal shifts (two 24 hr shifts a week) and probably a little overtime for the extra $$ he needs. Today we're going to be like a normal couple and go out and do something. We're going to MD State Fairgrounds for a Home, Garden and Craft show. He really should have thought long and hard about saying he'd take me there. I have a feeling his honey-do list will likely get much longer......

As for now, I just got home from work and the citizens of Prince George's County didn't let me indulge in any sleep last night. So, its nap time for me.

No comments: