Sunday, December 16, 2007

Its 338am and my nose won't let me lay down.

Its 338am, I'm up because I can't lay down. And it sucks. Colds suck. Whoever invented them, I'd love to have a chat with and let them know how I really feel. I just read Sukey Bird's blog about her cold last month and I totally can relate to the breathing through your mouth and chapped lips and just overall suckiness to a cold. I'm at work. And I want to be in my bed at home, but the bed in the freezing cold smelly bunk room would work at this point. I guess I can't complain too much. I did snooze for about 30-45 minutes early. That was until we got put on the call for the man that can't breath. The same man that was stabbed multiple times in the past, had chest tubes and maybe was intubated during that time, IVs, tattoos and tells me he spent some time in jail....yeah....he all but cried when my partner went to stick him for his IV. I don't get it. This is the part of my job I absolutely love. There's no denying I work in some pretty ghetto areas. I have met some of the scariest people you would never want to come across in a dark alley. But once they're done talking all their game and they are in the comfort of my nice cozy medic unit, I've heard them beg me not to stick them with a needle, honestly cry crocodile (or is it alligator? I always get that saying confused) tears for their mommy's, bargain with me not to do something medical----everything they'd never want their "boys" to see. And for the most part I treat them exactly the same way I would treat my grandmother. But I love sitting back knowing their insecurities and deep down they probably aren't all that "bad." Don't get me wrong....I still don't want to run into them in that alleyway. I'm not very trusting of a whole lot of people in this world. But this job has definitely given me some insight into different types of personalities, how people react/respond to stress and in a way makes me want to get into the psychology field and ask the question "why" to a variety of people, just to see why they are the way they are.

And with that, we're approaching 4am. I still had 3 hours til I get off so I'm thinking maybe I'll try to sleep a bit. Hopefully my nose will cooperate.

Wait...one more rant? Where the hell is the snow/ice/wintry mix we've heard about all damn week? Um, yea. Its raining. Yucky rain. But not snowing. Or icing. Or wintry mixing. Just raining. I'm not complaining about the lack of storms, because especially being at work, I'm okay with just rain. But, all the hype....for rain?! I understand predicting the future is probably a bit hard for weatherman, but lordy....I was hoping for a flake at least. Maybe another day. When I don't have to be at work.

OK. That's it. Bedtime, hopefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about you when my computer said 7:00 AM. Time to go home! Hopefully you slept a little more after your posting and the roads won't stress you. It looks to me like just rain, but I am looking at the road from a distance and you are 1 hour away. Rub some Vicks on your chest and it will help you to breath. Hope you feel better soon!!