Friday, January 9, 2009

I was the biggest kid


I never thought I'd be a patient in a pediatrician's office ever again, but there I was, at the age of 28, a patient in a pediatrician's office. It was awkward to say the least. Well, the waiting room was, anyway.

Every adult was associated with a child. Then, hidden in the corner, were Brian and I, pretending like our kid was in the back or something. After an hour, the staff finally hid me in a room for my hydrogen breath test. I had to drink this sugar stuff and then every 15 minutes for 2 hours, I had to blow into a syringe to give a sample. The goal is to find out if I have an overgrowth of bacteria in my small intestines.

On Tuesday, I have to swallow a "capsule camera" and wear this monitor thingy all day. It takes pictures of my GI tract....I think she said it takes 2 pictures every second or something like that. I think its kinda neat. I hope I get to see the video. The goal of that test is to determine what my insides are doing and where my "food" goes (or doesn't go) once I chow down on it.

2 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Why'd you see a ped?

Sarah said...

I guess that was a key piece of information I left out.

They don't do the breath test at Mercy where my doc is, so I had to go to University Hospital to get it done. Its usually done on kids so that's why its in the peds specialty section.