Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Good news, maybe?

Sooooo. Here's my tummy troubles update. The breath test that I had during my pediatrician experience came back positive. That means I have bacteria growing in my small intestines that aren't supposed to be. That could cause my symptoms, although typically it comes in the form of diarrhea. On Monday, I begin a two week regimen of high dose antibiotics, which I'm assuming is Flagyl or something like it. If I start pooping like a normal person, it worked. If not, I'm officially clean of little buggies swimming in my gut.

The cool camera test has been changed. Someone in the doctors office ordered the wrong test. Thankfully, we found that out the day before the test was to take place. It was replaced by a Sitz marker test. In this one, I got a baseline x-ray. Then I swallowed this horse pill sized clear capsule. It is filled with 20-30 little barium (I think) rings. It kinda looks like a weird fishing luer. On Saturday morning after work, I have to go back for another x-ray to see where the little rings have moved to. If they are all together on the right side, I probably have colonic inertia. The nerves and muscles in the gut aren't working together so instead of moving poop along, mine sits there. He said it is treatable with a few medicines. If the rings are someplace else, I could have pelvic floor dysfunction. The treatment for that is biofeedback. Basically, I need to learn how to poop again. How embarrassing.

The thing I was most happy about??? The serious weight gain I've had since this time last year has a lot to do with what's been going on with my belly. The doctor told me so, and you have to believe what doctors said. I'm going out on a limb and saying the pizza I overate and those cookies from the holidays...oh and the food on the cruise....yep, none of those had to do with the weight gain.

Speaking of that, Brian and I are back doing WW. I know I raved about thedailyplate.com, but the more involved with it the more it frustrated me. Its good for some nutritional information and stuff, but it wasn't working for me. I'm trying hard to be good. I need to up the exercise. Today I bought a jump rope. I can be in a mindless trance and jump rope. I recall jumping rope really give me a jump start (no pun intended) to weight loss a few years ago. You don't realize how many calories you are burning by this simple exercise. I try to think of me being 7 and jump roping at recess and at home. Why don't kids play with jump ropes any more. We used to have double Dutch contests at school.

Anyone with WW online or eTools: try the pan seared chicken with garlic sauce recipe. Brian made it last night and it was awesome. And, only 3 points.

For the next two weeks, we've decided not to eat out. We want to see if it benefits us by cooking. Plus, we're curious to see how much money we save in that time by staying home. Its been nice. We alternate nights of who's cooking supper. It would be lovely if we were one of those couples that could cook together, but I'd be afraid someone would end up with a steak knife in their chest. We don't play well when it comes time to cooking. We each have our ways of doing things and aren't willing to budge to accommodate the other. We've compromised and it seems to be working, so we're sticking to it. Plus, all the money saved will go to a nice night out on Jan. 27th. His divorce will finally be final!!

No comments: