Monday, January 19, 2009

A 99% diagnosis

I talked with my GI doctor this morning. After reviewing results of all my tests, he is 99% sure I have colonic inertia along with my small intestine bacterial overgrowth. The bacterial overgrowth will be fixed with the antibiotic. Because the colonic inertia is a nerve/muscle issue, I will probably spend the remainder of my life on some sort of laxative treatment. He said the colonic inertia doesn't have a known cause, but usually has some sort of trigger to worsen the nerve/muscle issues, leading to nearly no contractions of my intestines. He feels the bacterial overgrowth may have been the trigger. Like I said, I'll be treated with medicine for quite some time. He said if the medicine doesn't fix things, the next step would be to remove a portion of the colon, attaching the small intestines directly to the rectum and that would fix it. Thankfully he's not in a rush to cut me open. He said surgery is intended for people who have bowel movements once a month or are in great pain.

I'm glad to have an actual diagnosis with actual test results to prove it. I hate that limbo period where treatment fixes nothing and you start to think you're crazy.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I am so glad you have a conclusive diagnosis. How horrible to be in limbo and to have worried for so long. Hopefully the medication will take care of things for you. At least it is treatable and fixable.

Christy said...

Well you are crazy... with or without a diagnosis :-)