Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Call me.

I hate driving at work--especially in the rain. I'm petrified I'm going to get in an accident. Any of my partners at work will tell you that. So, when did my first accident happen? Monday afternoon in the bright sunshine. I'm a dork.

It was the beginning of DC rush hour and we were leaving Children's Hospital driving up Michigan Ave when it happened. Yep, that's when I felt the need to hit a Metro bus. Alright, so it wasn't a big bang, crash, people hanging out of the windows accident. I clipped the bus's drivers side mirror but I just about pooped myself when it happened. I was so concerned about not hitting the car to my left that I thought I had enough room to the right. Obviously not, because my Dumbo earred sized mirrors wanted to kiss the bus mirror. I pulled over, contacted all the people I have to and was pretty much confined to the medic unit. I wasn't even going to attempt to open my door with all the cars coming towards me. And now that I screwed up traffic, I sure as hell wasn't going to do anything else to piss more people off. My partner got out and talked to the driver of the bus. He came back to the unit and being mildly concerned that the bus driver was going to be an idiot I asked my partner, "is he pissed?" "Nope. Said accidents happen," was his reply. Good. One less thing I have to worry about. So, finally a police officer shows up and stops traffic so I could get out of the unit without getting creamed. We proceed to spend the next 2 hours waiting on the side of the road for another police officer to come to take a report. The bus driver was cool. Had a "I don't give a &*$(" attitude but was nice. Our supervisors both came, exchanged info, and actually while we were waiting, the bus supervisor changed the broken mirror on the bus (my unit had no damage, thankfully). The bus left before us. We were still sitting on the side of the road as my supervisor was still doing some paperwork. That's when my partner comes up and hands me a folded up piece of cardboard. I open it up and read it. The Readers' Digest version was something to the effect of "I think you're attractive and would like to be your friend. If you have a boyfriend, take this as a compliment and discard the #." It was from the bus driver. I hit your bus and you give me your number!?! I told Brian if things don't work out with he and I, I could always call this guy back and then if we get married we could have some really cool "how we met" story. I don't really think Brian laughed. I did.

So my partner and supervisor were sitting there making fun of me when finally a DC cop showed up to take a report. We realized then that we had no contact info for the bus or the supervisor. That's when, sitting on the curb staring down at the sidewalk, I pull my little piece of folded cardboard out and extend my arm out into the air. "Call the driver at this number," I said. The cops look at each and exchange "what?" eyes. The Sgt. takes the paper (I'm still staring down) opens it up, looks up and has a huge shit eating grin on his face. The cops, being pretty much like firemen (or mean big brothers), read the note outloud (adding their own comments and inflections, of course) and went on to embarrass me as much as they could. I guess I shouldn't complain. I got a very nice compliment which did help my mood after getting in my first accident, and, well, a pretty bad week. Plus, we spent 2 hours out in the sunshine in a fairly non-ghetto part of DC (thankfully, I wrecked where I did).

The patio is officially under construction. They came yesterday and did some work and just got here today to start compacting the dirt. I think it will be done by the weekend. I hope so. It's still a pile of dirt with a retaining wall now, but it really does look better. Speaking of which, they can see me from the basement windows. I really should go shower and lose the chicken hair look.

I feel like I had so much more to post from the past week. I can't remember anything now.

Oh, wait! Ha. I quit WW and lost 6 lbs. Awesome. Since I've been off plan, I have so much less stress about staying in my points. I'm making good food decisions and barely eating any snacks and I've been going for walks every night I'm not at work for 30-60 minutes. I even think my giblets might be slimming down.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I am sorry to hear you had an accident and happy to hear everyone is ok. I couldn't help but laugh at the story you told. The piece of cardboard cracked me up. Good for you for living healthier. I have to get there myself.

Paul said...

Haha, you only have once to make a first impression. I guess your's was a good one! ;-)

Funny story! I guess things couldn't have worked out better than they did.

As for your weight loss, congrats! It's reassuring to know that you can have sucess without counting points.

Amy Anderson said...

I agree, it would be a GREAT story at your wedding! If things with Brian don't work out, that is. I'm still on Team Brian, though.

Good job on the weight loss!