Thursday, April 2, 2009

Now its different.....The doctor told me to lose.

I went to my doctor today for a routine follow up and weight became a topic of discussion. I told her my concerns over the last few months. At my annual work physical in 2007 I weighed 168 and I was pretty happy with that. I weighed in at 178 at last years physical which was around Thanksgiving. Two days ago, I weighed in at 191.4. I'm not happy. I explained to her how this weight gain is messing with my head. Its not just a number. To me, its my body teasing me, saying, "that fat miserable girl you used to be is in there....she wants to come out." Really, she doesn't. The doctor COMPLETELY understood. OK, first off, she's like 100 pounds soaking wet. What does she know about being overweight? I felt myself getting that annoyed/pissed feeling inside, like "don't tell me you completely understand." She continued....

"I'm a lifetime member of WW," she said. At that point my insides started laughing at me saying, "way to go Sarah, get all pissed at the former fattie for saying she completely understands. Now how do you feel?" We talked for about 20 minutes about weight loss. She's aware I lost 70-75 pounds in 2002. It was obvious that was caused by a major life style change. This morning she told me its time for lifestyle change #2.

Ugh. I'm not ready for a lifestyle change. I've got houses to sell and buy, and packing, and you know, all that other stuff I do to procrastinate. Well, I left her office with a homework assignment. I have doctors orders to continue WW and go to meetings. She recommended I read Sugar Busters! to learn what to eat and what not to eat. (Her husband lost 50 pounds and her daughter lost 80 pounds following that book/WW.) When someone explains to you the best thing for your body is to eat natural stuff, it makes so much sense, doesn't it? Without even asking me she knew that I was the person that counted my points by that my points included things like chocolate and mini cupcakes. Sure, I counted my points, but all I ate was crap! It was explained to me in order to lose I have to increase my water, eliminate red meats and trade them for lean chicken, turkey and fish, and lose basically anything that is made with white flour. (I LOVE bread.) I also have to increase my fruits and veggies. I explained that I've been doing that. Then, she interjected, "oh, and these fruits don't count: pineapples, bananas, and watermelon." Awesome. I eat bananas every day sometimes two times a day and pineapple is one of my top fruits. I told her I started eating Dole Fruit Bowls (diced peaches) thinking I was on the right path. Yeah....she told me that's like eating pretend candy. She forgot to add no fruits or veggies from a can to the list of things I can't eat. Wow....this should be fun. Basically I have to clean out my kitchen (good thing we're moving) and start over. I started making faces at the appointment. She put it bluntly, "make a lifestyle change, lose weight and be more healthy or don't and don't complain about being overweight and the what happens to your body/health from it." That was a fine how do you do. And on that note, she made me an appointment in June to see my progress.

Did I mention she scares me? Like the way you were scared of your math teacher in middle school. I'm afraid if I show up at my appointment in June and I haven't done what she asked or made any progress, she's going to come after my knuckles with a ruler or something. I think I might call this so-called lifestyle change, "Mission: Save the Knuckles." Math teachers......ugh.

1 comment:

Holly said...

SugarBusters is a great book. Let me know if you can't find the book. My mom has a copy.