Thursday, April 9, 2009

I feel like I have so much to write...

I don't know if I should start with the good or the bad.....

On the house front, all contracts are signed. The selling of our current home was easy. They're paying with cash and the funds are there....we sold for $5K less than asking, but $100 more than I bought 2 1/2 years ago. Better than $25K less. We put our offer in earlier this week for the house we want to buy. We're still waiting to hear back, but we're hopeful. The owners are going through a divorce, so its taking longer than usual to get them both together to sign paperwork and decide if they will take our offer or if they will counter. We're both super excited. The downfall to it all is we will be settling on two houses and moving all in one day. Brian's cousin is getting married a few days prior to our moving and family will be in town.....its just going to be super hectic between packing, entertaining, traveling, etc. It definitely won't be as relaxed a weekend as we envisioned it to be when planning stuff a year ago.

We are going on a last minute cruise next Sunday. We both have annual leave next week and decided to go on a last minute vacation. We were looking to just hang out in Baltimore or DC but once we added up hotels and meals and drinks, and touristy stuff for a few days it was cheaper for us to go on a cruise. We'll be sailing out of New Orleans to Progresso and someplace else that I can't remember for 5 days. I think it will be perfect. I could care less about the islands. I'm totally okay with laying poolside with a good book or two.

That being said, the bathing suit shopping has not been going as well as hoped. My stuff from last year is a little snug so I'm trying to find something more comfy. At the same time, I've been trying to eat better and move around more. I did PT at work yesterday. Not a lot but I ran a few laps around Cole Field House on campus. Ok, so my partner ran all the stairs in the place, but whatever. At least my legs weren't jello-y for the remainder of the shift. On my way home from work I stopped at the new library (BTW, don't like it, miss the old one) and picked up my Sugar Busters! book. I also got a few new workout DVD's to try for 3 weeks. I even stooped to Richard Simmons, but hey if the curly haired guy can keep me motivated to workout, I'll marry him. I say that, knowing he's probaby not that interested in me. Along that front, I think I was hit on yesterday by a girl. First off, I have absolutely NO issues with anyones sexual orientation. Just never had that happen to me before. Kinda weird.

Ok, the bad news. A 22 year old Brian and I work with was badly burned in a fire last night. He was taken to a burn center with face/head and respiratory burns. It struck close to home because Brian and I know him, are friends with his sister (she works for the FD too), and he's the brother in law of my former partner, Chris. The story is still vague as to what exactly happened, but the long and short of it is that we're praying he's on the mend. He's intubated now, but reportedly was being weaned off his sedation. The first 72 hours after a respiratory burn bascially determines what the outcome will be. I stopped by the burn center to see him late last night, but he was getting dressings changed. One thing about our job in the fire department is the gossip and bad talking may be worse than any soap opera you've ever seen, but the brotherhood is strong as can be. All differences are put aside and the family of the injured is taken care of 100%. (BTW, the injured FF's father was a Lt. Col. for our department and recently retired.) I read the guestbook last night and there were probably two hundred signatures in the book. I heard there were plenty of others that probably never knew a book existed to sign. I talked to Marshall this morning--he said he stopped by but there were so many people in the hallway there was no way to even get close to the room nor the family.

Anyway, keep Danny in his prayers and follow his progress. Oh, interesting note.....fire was arson, started over a domestic dispute. I heard one story saying someone left a note somewhere saying, "don't mess with my man." Are you f'ing kidding me? No guy is worth that, and I hope whoever is involved knows just who they hurt.....sometimes this place amazes me.

No comments: