Thursday, May 20, 2010

The story behind the ring....

We discussed getting engaged in passing over the past few years. I told Brian I didn't want any sappy, romantic proposal because I'm not that kind of girl. I told him I wanted to be surprised, too. Brian's not a good liar. He thinks he is but I can see right through him. Anything else he's tried to surprise me with over the years I either completely knew or suspected.

So....
the other morning I was sleeping and I heard Brian come home from work. I heard him take the dog out to play and stomp around the house in his supposed "quiet" footsteps. We were to meet our neighbors for Sunday brunch buffet (my favorite) at 11am. I'm not sure what time it was, but through my sleep I could hear Brian walking up the steps and I knew it was time to get up.

Those who know me, know I am NOT a morning person. Unless its for a call at work, you'll never see me jump out of bed for anything. So, it takes a little coaxing. (My sister used to have to pull my eyelashes or cover my mouth and nose to wake me up for school when we were young.) I felt him start to rub my back and whisper its was time to get ready for brunch. I moaned and rolled over. He sat on the bed and did a little more talking, when the dogs decided to jump on the bed. I started to complain about how the dogs were so bad the night before when Brian said, "Remi, what are you chewing on?" Then I heard, "what is this?" I asked what it was and he told me he didn't know and showed it to me. I opened one eye, which was blurry, and I asked, "where did he get tin foil from?" Brian said, "its not tin foil, take it." I grabbed it and realized it was a ring. Brian kneeled at the side of the bed and smiled. My first words? "Are you proposing?" He said, "yes." I said, "shut the F*(& up. You're joking. No, seriously, Brian." Brian kept telling me it was for real, but I kept repeating, "no, seriously, Brian. This is a joke." Eventually he asked if I would answer him and I answered with a "YES!" but continued repeating the same few statements and questions. Two hours after the proposal I was still asking if it was a joke.

So, that's how it went. It was perfect. I'm still so surprised. Its the first thing Brian was able to surprise me with. He did so good. So good, in fact, part of me still thinks its a joke. And I love that Remi was "involved." The ring, to be clear, was never actually in Remi's mouth.

I started looking at places for the wedding and actually have narrowed it down to a few local venues. We talked about going away, but we want as many invitees as possible to attend so we decided to do something local and go away after. We're still ironing out details. Hopefully, the planning will go smoothly.

No comments: