Saturday, May 15, 2010

Kudos to you Mr. Tattoo Man

Earlier today, I saw Brian's cousin became a fan of Little Vinnie's Tattoos on Facebook. I'm kind of an undercover tattoo fan. I have one myself---sad to say a tramp stamp---and I'm sure I'll get another in my lifetime. I used to think tattoos were just for biker guys, gang members, and well, anyone hardcore. But, after the media got a hold of the art of tattooing and now you see everyone out there with a tattoo sleeve it seems you may be in the minority if you don't have a tattoo.

Here's my theory on tattoos: They're permanent. Duh. But if you get something that tells a story or marks a milestone its something that can be remembered or honored for, literally, a lifetime. The only reason I haven't another tattoo is because I haven't found a reason to yet.

My tattoo is of a tribal butterfly. I got it years ago, and to be honest, I still love it to this day. I got the "tramp stamp" positioning (low back for those of you who may not know) because I wanted it in a spot that could be concealed. I'm not against those who show off their tattoos, but personally, I wanted mine to be for me, not for everyone else.

I got the tattoo for mainly two reasons:

1. I'm competitive. Don't tell me I can't do something.
My sister has multiple tattoos. To me, they're all in places that hurt really bad. I don't know that for a fact but they just look like they'd be ouchy. I don't really know what all of hers mean and to be honest, I shouldn't. Its her body. It's her story. She's been through plenty in her short life and maybe her tattoos are a documentation of it all. I know when she and her husband were to marry she got a tattoo that matched one he already had on him. I think it was his "sign." I'm all for that. So she didn't want Jimi tattooed on her. God forbid they break up and then she and everyone looking at her will be reminded of her ex. But an Aquarius sign or whatever it is will remind her where she's been. Yes, she'll know what it is, but everyone else doesn't.

God, I'm starting to type like I hold a verbal conversation. Talk about going on tangents. Anyway, back to being competitive. My sister, mom, dad---everyone---said I couldn't handle getting a tattoo. Well, add my name to that list because I didn't think I could handle it either. I went back and forth about getting one and after a family taunt I finally decided to just do it. I searched forever, it seemed, on the Internet looking for just the right tattoo. After I found it I printed it out and carried it with me as my neighbor and I went to that tattoo parlor. We arrived and just walking in there scared the crap out of me. I made Theresa get hers first because I was too chicken shit to do it. But, I finally gave in which brings me to....

2. This was about me. It was my story. I haven't told anyone about my tattoo meaning. Its a tribal butterfly. I'm not a girly girl and can be rough around the edges and abrasive at times. I wanted something that represented me. Feminine with a bad attitude? Maybe that's a bit much, but you get my point. At that particular point in my life I finally was finding myself. I transformed myself from this overweight, cranky, miserable, just making it by girl to someone who was losing weight, taking care of herself, and loving every minute of it. I was turning into my own little butterfly. I got the tattoo on my lower back, not for sexual or attraction purposes by any stretch of the imagination. I got it there so it could be concealed, but it could "grow" with me. I knew I wasn't going to be the same size forever. Weight changes, pregnancies, etc....my butterfly was sticking with me through thick and thin (literally). Because I decided to get all black ink there wasn't a risk of stretching of colors or distortion. My butterfly's wing span would grow with me.

I'm not going to lie. It hurt like a bitch. A quarter of the way through I almost made the guy stop. But then he yelled at me (not very business like, but much needed. I think he would have slapped me had it been Kosher to do so.) and I quietly sat still, biting my thumb, for the remaining 40 minutes. When it was all done I had my permanent story on me.

In typical Sarah fashion, when I started this post I had no intentions of telling you my tattoo story. I really was going to tell you about something I think is truly awesome at Little Vinnie's Tattoos. But, it all ties together.

Upon checking out their website, I found this tattoo parlor does nipple and areola tattooing. Yes, I was curious, so I checked it out. AMAZING. That's all I can say. They transform what could be quite possibly the most de-feminizing (ok, I made that up) experience of a woman's life (losing a breast) and made it feminine. When woman lose a nipple---these guys tattoo one back on. Natural? I would NEVER in a million years have guessed the nipples/areolas weren't the real thing.

Like I said, I think tattoos tell a story. Now, women who have to go through such a life changing event and be reminded of it EVERY single time they change, shower, or see themselves nude can be really be reminded they survived their ordeal. Natural breast or not, they are still a woman. Kudos to you Mr. Tattoo Man.

1 comment:

Abigail Wise said...

I love tattoos too! I used to think I'd never get one and now i have two, getting a third soon.