Thursday, October 2, 2008

RIP. And a big wake up call for the rest of us.

This weekend, anyone in the area that does any sort of public safety (fire, police, EMS) work got a big wakeup call. Maryland State Police medevac helicopter, Trooper 2, crashed early Sunday morning, killing 4, leaving only one survivor.

Brian worked 12 hours overtime Saturday night into Sunday, in addition to his normal 24 hour shift Sunday. I called him a little after midnight to tell him good night and to be careful, as usual. He had a different tone in his voice as compared to normal. I asked what was wrong. He said, "they're looking for Trooper 2." What does that mean? Are they at a hospital, in the hanger, flying around? I asked him what he meant and he told me two ambulances were supposed to meet Trooper 2 at Andrews Air Force Base to pick up its patients and finish the transport to the trauma center. The helicopter wasn't going to be able to make it because of bad weather. The Trooper never arrived at Andrews. Police and fire units started looking for the helicopter because no radio contact could be made after it went off both Andrews AFB and SYSCOM's (dispatch for Trooper) radars. Knowing their last location was approximately 2 miles away, maps were pulled out and the attempt to find out where the helicopter might be began. I told Brian to be careful and let me know what ended up happening. He was hopeful that it was just a radio glitch or an electrical problem on board.

My cell died in the middle of the night. Around 6am, I plugged it in to charge and saw I had two text messages from Brian. One read, "Trooper and pilot dead, I treated pt." The next read, "also 2nd pt and Charles Co. provider." I sat in bed and tried to absorb it all in. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't see it coming. When a helicopter is en route to a specialty center only a few things will make them land and transfer care to another another means of transport. The weather was bad, they lost all contact, a crash sounded inevitable, but like Brian said, maybe it would just be a glitch.

Finally, later that morning I was able to speak with Brian. He sounded upset. He said after he got off the the phone with me, he spent time with the police trying to figure out areas where to look. Police were searching everywhere. Brian and another EMS officer started to look in areas they were familiar with where no one would have heard if something happened (construction areas, etc.) Brian said he heard an officer transmit over the radio he smelled jet fuel and shortly later it was confirmed the Trooper did indeed crash. The wreckage was found nearly 2 hours after radio/radar contact was lost. Brian headed towards the site and was the first fire department official on the scene. He was told to go down the path to help. He, along with another MSP medic, treated and stabilize to the best of their ability, the only survivor until they could get her in an ambulance and transported to a trauma center. The medic told Brian everyone else was dead. After he told me that, he said he had to go. I could already hear the exhaustion in his voice.

Later in the afternoon, Brian was placed in charge of removing the deceased from the helicopter. He said it was one of the most respectful and professional things he's ever seen. He said it was like watching the footage of the deceased from 9/11 being removed---covered with flags, etc.

He was on the scene for 16+ hours. That in itself is exhausting, let alone dealing with all the events surrounding the incident. We all get "that" call. The one that sticks with you for a while or makes you think a little bit. Like,"why do we do this job?" Everyday we leave for work we know it may be our last. As for us, we dealt with Trooper 2 on a regular basis. We got to know the pilots and medics. I know myself I've flown numerous times over the years in that exact helicopter. Brian flew a few weeks ago. Usually its just for a helping hand and we can stay strapped in our seat. But I will never forget the day I had to unstrap myself to treat an extremely critical patient. You think walking down an airplane aisle or trying to use the restroom while in air is a little weird? Imagine being crouched over treating someone who's spewing all kinds of yuck at you in a bouncy helicopter. Once I was unstrapped, all I could think was, "God, please don't let this crash." We worry about flying, yet they have a better record than ambulances. My chances of getting hurt or killed in an ambulance is much higher.

I knew the pilot. Not well, by any means, but enough to say hi to him while at the hospital. He was a retired State Trooper Cpl, who came back to work as a civilian pilot MSP. He was 59 and I believe left behind a wife and grown children. The medic, also an state trooper, was in his 30s, worked for the department for four years, and just got back from baby leave. He left behind his wife and four month old daughter. The volunteer EMT on board, assisting the medic, was 39 and left behind her husband and two sons. The patient just graduated from high school. She, along with the survivor were involved in an accident and were being flown to the trauma center. Driving them from the accident scene would have meant an extended transport time. Normally, if a specialty center is more than 30 minutes away, helicopter transport is utilized. The survivor, from what I've read, was best friends with the deceased patient and also graduated last June. She eventually was transferred to Shock Trauma in Baltimore where she had extensive surgery and is expected to survive and eventually walk again.


Like I said, it was a big wakeup call. What would happen if that was me being helping out on the helicopter? Would Brian go on without me? Maybe so, but I know if it was reversed I'd have some issues dealing with that. I already have real issues with him going to work when I'm not there. Its really not because I don't want him there, but if something is going to happen I want to know about it immediately. I want to be there with him. I always fear that phonecall that might come in the middle of the night. We are extremely annoying with each other with check-ins throughout the day, especially when we're working the same day. Did you make it to work? Why did you request the police on that call? Why are they searching for you on the radio? Did you get in an accident and are unable to answer or did you take your portable in the bathroom with you and turned it off so you could take a silent pee?

I was in a bad accident years ago in which I probably should have died. I've been on a few calls where I very easily could have been assaulted, stabbed, or shot. I'm not the most religious person in the world. I honestly don't know what I believe in, but I do know that I feel each of us has our day for a specific reason (which we probably will never know why). I wasn't supposed to die in that accidentg. Pure physics would make me dead, but for some reason I didn't. Not that I know of a better way to go, but I pray that God or whatever it is that controls life and death doesn't let it happen to me, Brian, or anyone else I know that works in public safety while we are on duty.

Christy (by the way, if I never mentioned before, she and I used to be partners at the busiest medic unit in the county before she decided to go ahead and get hurt) has a few good posts on her blog about the Trooper accident. Its pretty obvious that she feels similarly to what I've described. Actually, she probably posted more emotional stuff than I did. Instead of posting lots more on this post, check out her's.

RIP Stephen Bunker (pilot), Mickey Lippy (trooper/medic), Tanya Mallard (EMT assisting), and Ashley Youngler (patient).

Speedy recovery wishes to survivor Jordan Wells.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I am sitting at the computer thinking of all that I want to say and just can't put my thoughts into words. What a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased and the recovery of the only survivor. My thoughts and prayers are also with all of the fire department, police department and with the various agencies that put their lives on the lines daily. We are all so proud of you and pray that you remain safe. Thanks for the job that you do!