Thursday, October 2, 2008

My new nose.

Surgery went well. There were no complications, but the people I talked to weren't lying about the pain involved. Outwardly, except for me looking stoned for the first few days and walking around with a nose sling and guaze, you would never know I had surgery. No bruising, no significant swelling, nothing. Brian and his mom took very good care of me the day of the surgery. His mom made me matzo ball soup and also stopped for some mashed potatoes and chicken fingers for me on the way home. (I don't know what it is, but after every surgery I'm craving chicken fingers.) Thankfully, I didn't have any problems eating---it didn't hurt or anything. But, the downfall was I couldn't taste anything for over a week except anything super sweet. I could have eaten gooey icing from a cinnamon roll all day long.

My dad stopped by for a day before flying out of BWI for a business event. My mom stayed with us from Thursday til Tuesday. It was nice having her around, for conversation more than anything else. By that time I was up and walking around but I was at that point where you feel good enough that you don't think you should be laying in bed anymore but not well enough to fully get dressed, do makeup and hair. Sunday we went out because I was starting to go stir crazy. My ass was kicked after going to three stores (and it was just get what you need stuff, not wandering around aimlessly) and dinner. I remember that happening with one of my knee surgeries. I made it to the rear of a store, but I was so tired afterwards, I couldn't make it back to the front to leave. I thought Marshall was going to have to ask for a wheelchair or stick me in a cart or something just so we could get out of there.

Anyway, Mom was entertained fully by the cats, especially the little one. One day I'm just going to surprise you all with her kitty pictures. Probably when she's three, but the day will come.

Fast foward to Tuesday...
I went for my eval with my ENT. She was to remove one of the splints and have the second removed next week. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead she decided to remove both splints from each nostril because she felt it may be too irritated to pull it next week. Let's just say I cried. Not like a baby, but enough for tears to fall. She didn't numb or anything before. Just a quick yank. Ugh. Thank God that won't happen again. I was very excited to be able to blow my nose and stop breathing out of my mouth. Of course, I'm not fully healed, so I still have a substantial amount of pain everywhere (ears, eyes, teeth, nose) and some bleeding. Hopefully in six weeks I'll notice the beginning of the full effects of the surgery. And, of course, I'm happy that my nose is a bit straighter. I still have a bump but nothing I can't live with. What I want to know is how people can elect to have plastic surgery to their face after having it once before. I can't believe a nose job or anything having to do with the face can be comfortable. I can assure you, unless I get some sort of major trauma to my face, there will be no cosmetic surgery happening. I don't want to feel this again.

I do not go back to work til next Friday. I didn't think I'd need so much time to recover, but I'm glad I did. I need lots of naps throughout the day. I better remember to break that habit, because when I go back, I've been transferred to a busier medic unit. The days of laying around doing nothing are over. I'm looking forward to the change though. But, I will miss my morning, afternoon and occasional evening naps.

No comments: