Monday, September 22, 2008

Our quest to eat right

Brian's now on a quest to eat better, too. He's been faithfully going to the gym for a few weeks now but isn't seeing the results he wants. I, on the other hand, haven't been going to the gym, so I don't see results either. We know we have to combine good eating with exercise but its not as easy as it seems when you're stuck in your old habits. Like today, Brian suggested we go to Heavenly Ham for lunch. Seems easy enough and a good choice. Lean lunchmeats on yummy bread. Oh, except have you seen their nutritional information lately? Yeah, so all these attempts I've been making of eating turkey subs instead of getting something fried when eating out....I'd probably be better off getting the fried chicken tenders. Most of the sandwiches at Heavenly Ham have upwards of 700+ plus calories, about 40-50 grams of fat, and only 1-2 grams of fiber. I think if I used my points calculator that would end up being a high number. Ugh. And to think when I ate out I was making decisions that I thought were better for me.

Today we are trying to have salads for lunch. Unfortunately, my "at home" salads never taste as good as if they came from somewhere else. Now, after reading that nutritional info from Heavenly Ham, I'm fearful of what restaurant salads would end up being points wise. I'm trying to stay on track, really. Its just harder than I thought some days. Anyone know of good salads that are points friendly from restaurants?

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I know what you mean. I have been doing the healthy thing for one week and walking 1-3/4 miles every day. I am not seeing the results I expected but I do have more energy and less body pain, so that is a good thing. Eating salads out usually required me bringing my own dressing and ordering it with nothing on it. There are plenty of low fat (I won't do nonfat anymore) dressings that are fairly good. I would measure out the amount I wanted to use (calorie wise) and put it in a very small container to take with me. It worked really well on baked potatoes also to make them moist. Don't know if that was any help to you.