Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Holy salt!

I started using SparkPeople.com to track what I eat. Its free, is similiar to WW Etools, but has better breakdowns of your daily food consumption. I like that its based off calories and not point. Saying you only have 6 points left for a day sounds so much more negative than hearing you have 350 calories left for the day.

As I was saying, I love their breakdowns. I get a few pie charts showing the calories broken down by the foods I ate. Then, it breaks down further into fat, calories, cholesterol, sodium, protein, sugars....basically whatever it is you want to monitor. I've been doing good on the calories and fat portions but not so much on the sodium. Like today...my range is between 500-2300. My consumption? 5440. No wonder I've always got edema in my legs and feel bloated like a deer on the side of the road. I'm not sure how to go about lowering my sodium, but I think I should try something.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the website. I actually look forward to journaling my foods. It has turned into a game for me....how much food can I eat and stay within my calorie range? Like I said, similiar to WW, but the bigger numbers make me more comfortable

No comments: