Thursday, February 25, 2010

Upgrading to Version 2.0

Wow. Thats all I can say after my two hour visit with my dietitian. I figured the session would show me how to measure food and eat this not that, but this lady is on a mission. She claims she'll have me lose weight and get me off my prescription medicines. She told me I'm a medical mess. Not one of those medical messes that are about to die but the ones that outwardly look okay and doctors find nothing life threatening wrong so they kinda rush you out the door as they collect your co-pay. She explained how my PCOS was tied into my digestive issues from a year or so ago which ties into my issues with sleep and so on.

The long and short of it? Starting this morning I've done a 180. Because the root of most of my problems is hormone based, I have to eat clean. That means I'm going to be one of those hippies at Trader Joe's eating only organic food. She explained my body has enough hormone issues on its own---it doesn't need hormones from every other animal out there adding to the mess. She even suggests I use organic makeup, sunscreen and lotion. She's put me on a diet where I can eat more proteins (4-6 oz per meal) with a healthy fat and "certain" carbohydrates. She feels my gut issues may be related to wheat sensitivity.

She says the "average" person can benefit from eating wheat products instead of white. Thats what I thought, so all this time I traded white in for wheat. Come to find out, I'm not average, so I have a sensitivity to it which actually causes more issues. So, for the first time I had spelt bread. I was hesitant but graciously surprised that I liked it.

Theres lots more to it that I'll just leave out because I'm sure you really don't care. But I can honestly say I'm two meals in and I'm not hungry one bit. Actually, I couldn't even finish all of my lunch. I'm pretty excited about it. Plus I like that the dietitian was "excited" about me---she told me I'm a challenge for her. She sounds like me. I like challenges. I'm up for one.

6 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Good for you! I like that she's looking at you like a project and a challenge. That would motivate me, too. Hoping all the clean eating helps you out. You'd be shocked at all the crap that's in something as simple as milk (google it one day). The one word that sticks in my mind...pus. That's all I'll say about that. That's why Carter drinks organic milk (can't afford to give my 2-gallon-a-week husband organic milk so he gets the pus). LOL

Sarah said...

Pus might explain why she wants me to drink Almond milk. Funny, I bought stuff yesterday and I'm like a little kid here afraid to try it because it might taste disgusting. I made Brian try the spelt bread first. The almond milk is still staring at me on the counter. Concerns me when "milk" doesn't need to be refrigerated.

I'm happy I get to eat more than 3 oz of lean protein at a time. She said my blood type allows me to eat more proteins than some other people can. I can tell you I'm definitely getting an education. I'm very curious to see what the outcome will be.

Unsettled Mind said...

something that might be helpful, cause it seems like it's the path she is trying to take you down in regards to more protein, some certain carbs, and a little fat...Zone Diet. The first link is general info. the second is a breakdown of the types of food for protein/carbs/fat. i try to work towards doing this, but i find myself having a tough time eating as much as they say i should, so i stick to just trying to eat these foods, not necessarily the quantity they call for. but this at least gives you info on the types of foods. and if for some reason you show her this and she says no, let me know.

http://www.zonediet.com/RESOURCES/ZoneDietHints/tabid/79/Default.aspx


http://www.zonediet.com/Portals/0/pdfs/Food%20Block%20Guide.pdf

Unsettled Mind said...

and ignore all the crap about the food they sell...not worth it. normal trader joes food does just fine.

Shelley said...

Think about this win-win situation... you feel so much better and become much healthier and she, as the professional, will have taken you there. It's huge for both of you. Here's to your success and the wonderful professional you found to guide you.

Sarah said...

Missy...it seems very similar although she told me I can't eat any soy products. She told me I can eat 1/2 c of corn as one of my carbs. I asked her about it because everyone says its worthless. She explained saying if you combine certain foods like corn with other specific foods (proteins) they work together to benefit the body. I dont remember all the specifics, but I'll ask next time I see her, in 2 weeks.