Monday, June 1, 2009

Muffins vs. Info

I'm getting frustrated. I've been busting my ass at the gym. I've done some sort or workout EVERY day. I've journaled and been on track with my eating. What happened? I got on the scale and gained another pound. I'm at 197. My physical for work was in November and I was 178. Who gains 20 pounds like that? Me. And I think I figured out why. I'm on an antidepressant which my doctor said could have attributed to some weight gain. So, she took me off and after a week or two, I realized I (and probably everyone around me) needed to be back on the medicine.

Today, frustrated and about to give in to banana chocolate chip muffins I made this morning, I decided to change my focus from food to information. I plopped my happy ass on the couch and started searching. What I found out was interesting. I'm on Celexa which apparently causes an initial weight loss which I experienced Aug-Sept-Oct of last year) and then progressive weight gain. On average its 15-20 pounds. To top it off, Celexa reportedly causes some serious carbohydrate cravings. The articles I read described how the area of the brain affected by these drugs really messes up metabolism and makes your brain think it needs more glucose, hence the cravings. It specifically said its not about the caloric intake, but the metabolism. The metabolism level is directly determined by the drug.

So, what does this mean? I guess I'll keep working my butt off. If I'm going to stay this size, I want to look good and toned. I'll just tell ppl I used to be a semi-professional basketball or rugby player. And, I guess my current clothes will be headed off to Goodwill and I'll be shopping for something bigger. Kind of depressing, but if this is going to be the way it is, I have to accept and deal. Maybe getting new clothes won't be so bad. :)

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I think that if you keep doing what you are doing, eating and exercising, you will trick your body into losing weight, but most importantly, eating right and exercising has to make you feel better. I know some medications make you gain weight, but eventually it stops doing that. You will be surprised one day when you start heading in the other direction again. It will happen.